Cloud computing oppens new opportunities for freelancers. One of them is free online file synchronization and storage. Nowadays you can sync your PC files and manage your documents on the go. Share files with your employer or other freelancers. Make an online backup or roll back to previous file version. All these actions are possible with modern online file sharing applications.
Here are the top ten online storage and file sync services that are suitable for freelancing document needs:
1. DROPBOX: Dropbox is a leading folder sync tool. Dropbox gives 2GB free online file storage, which may be increased up to 8GB. Install Dropbox software on PC, Mac, Linux, or mobile devices. Put files you want to store in your Dropbox folder, share a folder with someone, or sync files with other device. I think Dropbox is the easiest file sync software I’ve tried. It’s simple to setup and easy to work with.
2. BOX.NET: Box.net is cloud storage that enables you to store files online and collaborate on them within your team. A simple Box.net account offers 5GB web space for free with mobile apps access and advanced sharing options.
3. ESNIPS: Esnips provides 5GB free online storage for personal use. Upload files and share them publicly or keep documents in private mode. While online, you can search for other users’ public files or install a toolbar to get instant access to an Esnips account. One small disadvantage of the free Esnips account are the multiple ads in your working area.
4. IDRIVE: iDrive is a perfect tool for online backup. If you want to keep a copy of your important folder on a cloud server, then iDrive is what you are looking for. Download iDrive software, run the application and choose folders to sync. In case of a PC crash, you get your files back. There is 5GB free storage quota.
5. IFOLDER: iFolder is a free open source file synchronization program. To enjoy iFolder, you install the software on your server and on client side as well. iFolder is good software for a small team that is comfortable working with their own server. Thus you make sure that only team members have access to your private files. iFolder has necessary setup documentation for administrators.
6. SKYDRIVE: Windows Live SkyDrive is free online storage. Enriched with Windows Live Mesh, SkyDrive helps to sync PC folders with your web account. Unfortunately, Live Mesh is available for Windows 7 only. Recently SkyDrive was united with Office 365, so you may collaborate and store Word, Excel, PowerPoint documents online.
7. YOUSENDIT: YouSendit offers 1GB free online storage via email attachments or web folders. The drawback is the provision of your credit card/PayPal data at sign-up page. However, it’s not obligatory and a user can enjoy a Lite account without financial details. Besides, there is an option to purchase advanced security features on a pay-per-use basis. This is a great service for sending single documents to coworkers.
8. ZUMODRIVE: ZumeDrive is an online storage that grants 1GB free web space. However, you have a chance to raise your free quota if you pass a quest game. You can share documents, files and photos after Zumo software installation. But ZumoDrive installation looks a bit more complicated than Dropbox. Source: proz.com